Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Ketchup Recipe

Yes, I even make my own ketchup. I've got a mustard recipe I'm going to try next. If it turns out, I'll post it. This is super easy. (If you need whey, please let me know, we always have more whey than we know what to do with.)

Ketchup Recipe

(makes approximately quart)

3 cups organic tomato paste
1 1/2 cups whey (or add until desired consistency - raw whey acts as a natural preservative)
1 Tbl Celtic Sea Salt
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/8 cayenne pepper
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup commercial fish sauce or 1/2 cup handmade fish sauce (optional)

Blend all ingredients together. Ketchup should be at least 1 inch below the top of the mason jar. Set on counter for two days before putting in refrigerator.

This is what the Nourishing Traditions cookbook says about ketchup:
"A return to ancient preservation methods would transform America's favorite condiment from a health liability (produced in huge factories with high fructose corn syrup) to a beneficial digestive aid."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there :)
Thanks for stopping by my blog, it is so nice to "meet" you. You blog looks great, I hope to get to know you better :)
-TF
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/tf/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails