Friday, June 12, 2009

Adventure Genes


I received this email from my mom this morning and I just had to share it with you. It explains from where I get my sense of adventure. My grandmother (Mom's mom) rode dirt bikes up into her 70's. My dad raced dirt bikes and snowmobiles and now loves to rope for old-time cattle brandings. My grandpa (Dad's dad) still rides and farms with horses and he is well into his 80's. I think I definitely picked up on all these genes! Anyway, just had to share this cute letter with all of you. I hope I can make it to her next race since I wasn't able to make it to this one.


Dear Everyone (both those who encouraged me and those who questioned my sanity) –
In my opinion my first stock car race was a raging success! Not because I won, but because I finished the race and because I had more fun than I’ve ever had in my life! It was honestly a bigger thrill than any of the other fun stuff I’ve done!!! Imagine, going as fast as you want, sliding in the dirt and not having to even have to watch for cops! It was also great to have a ‘real’ car under me again. I’ve been driving 4 cylinders for so long I’d forgotten how great it is to have some muscle under the hood!
In a nutshell, I had the fastest time in my group during Time Trials, so I got to start at the back and actually passed a couple cares before a chick hit me and spun me out. I think I flooded it in my excitement to get back in the race and it took me several tries to get it started again. Once I smelled gas I knew it was flooded so I just held the peddle down and turned it over a few times. After about 3 tries she started and stayed so at least I got to do one or two more laps (in all that excitement it’s really hard to tell) and see the checkered flag up close and personal!
My adrenaline was so high for long I about talked Larry to death when I knew he wanted to get to sleep! In fact, the adrenaline just shoots up every time I think about the race! I can’t wait to do it again. I want to do it again – TODAY! But alas, I don’t know when I’ll actually have another opportunity like this one. Now I need to convince my board to sponsor a United Way car. Of course, the executive director should drive it, right?
Thanks to all of you who showed up to support me and cheer me on, and for those of you who encouraged me and rooted from afar!
What an opportunity it was and even though I crossed it off my Bucket List, it’s definitely on my list of things to do again! Anyone have an old car with a good engine sitting around? The body can be in terrible shape! I was surprised to find that it was like a cross between a race and a demolition derby out there. If I ever get to do it again I will definitely be more aggressive! Some say I was too polite my first time out! (Hey, I was driving someone else’s car!)
I will send a couple pictures next week, just too prove I did it! (Yeah, like you can really see my face!)
All for now! I need to settle down and get to work! On the other hand, with this adrenaline level, I ought to get a ton done today!
Kricket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails