Monday, January 18, 2010

Hallway Remodel


We finally have one of the three walls completely finished. As promised, I'm posting before and after pictures. Here is the ugly paneling that I painted white when we first moved it. When we first moved in, it was dark brown (you can see the edge of it). The place was like a cave, so I was really happy just to lighten things up. We didn't have a lot of money and we were going for functional, not class, which was OK because since buying the house we've been committed to remodeling it debt-free.

We finally got brave and decided to remove the paneling and put up drywall. We had a friend help us and despite one major hiccup, we managed to get all the taping, mudding, sanding (again and again), primering, texturing, primering again and then painting two coats, all done on three walls. It was a lot of work, but it turned out really looking nice. We didn't get much sleep for a few weeks there because we would work until midnight, then be up at 5am to try to primer or paint before the kids got up. Whew!


Here is the end result. I've never painted a wall anything other than white, so believe me when I tell you this was a BIG step for me to paint this wall "Cracker Blitz". I'm really happy with the results, and it didn't make it too dark in here. I had several people tell me I should do some picture groupings instead of my one long line of pictures going down the hall. I'm so happy I chose to follow their advice. Also, check out those lovely rounded corners.
Here is the hallway looking the other direction. I love this picture grouping the best because I stuck with all dark colored picture frames with the old fashioned look. We got the light switches in Mexico about 10 years ago. They go so much better with this color on the wall. We didn't put a trim up in the hallway because eventually we'd like to do wainscotting ceilings in the hallway, dining room and living room.

We are hoping to get the fireplace hooked up today and the new door hung in the living room. Michael is also working on the trim for the pass-through between the kitchen and the dining room. So, as soon as he's done, I'll post more pictures.

God Bless,
Jackie

14 comments:

Naomi said...

Well your photos aren't working but I can't wait to see all the photos. It sounds great. A lot of work. We are getting carpet laid today and we have furniture everywhere. A lot of work but well worth it.

Anonymous said...

Jackie.. this is so fab!!! What a great job you and hubs done!! I bet your arms look so lovely after all that sanding.. what a great work out.

YOU did so much work there.. and all I can say is WOW. well done.

with love,

Olivia

ps I sent an email and it bounced back to me once so I resent it.

Celee said...

Beautiful! I love the color you selected! Maybe we should repaint our boring old white hallway.

Camille said...

Beautiful and I think your colour choice is great! Oh...you will be so glad you didn't stick with white ~ this is such a warm colour...it will always be in style. :) And...I LOVE rounded corners...how wonderful! Looking forward to the rest of your "before" and "after" shots.

Blessings,
Camille

Catherine said...

I love the whole look, color, layout, corners...ALL! You did really well. There is a building supply place over here that has used wainscotting...different kinds of stuff and reasonably priced. You should come for a visit and check it out...in Moscow.

Regina @VestPocketFamilyFarm said...

Looking good!

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Looks good!! I repainted our hallway this last year and it's almost the same color as yours! Don't you just love it when a job is finished finally? Hang in there and you will soon get to enjoy it all!! God bless.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

What a wonderful transformation. Sweatequity pays off! Beautiful!

Have a greatly blessed day!

christy rose said...

It looks wonderful Jackie! Now that you have added some color, I guarantee you that you will never go back to white. There is so much warmth and comfort in color. :)

His bondservant said...

Wow Jackie, what a difference. It looks beautiful! Thanks for posting the pictures so I could ooh and aah!

Blessings,
Jackie

Connie said...

A wonderful improvement. Remodeling is so much - I need to tackle some wallpaper removal and can hardly think about it!

OurLilFullFam said...

Jackie,

Looks great, you have been busy! That dark paneling must have been all the rage at one time, because my dining room and mudroom/laundry was covered in it here. The dungeon look must have been popular.

It is amazing what some light walls can do!

Stephanie

Rachel and Family said...

WELL, I'M INSPIRED!! That looks fantastic! I really like that color of paint, it seems cozy, like your kitchen seems. My favorite feeling is cozy ;)
Also the picture decorations look professional!! Way to go!

Freckles and Frogs said...

Looks great! Glad the fireplace is working too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails