Friday, September 2, 2011

Celtic Festival - Highland Games 2011

Here we are, the hot Whyte/MacRea/Fraser clan (that is our Scottish ancestry) watching the Highland Games. I shouldn't complain. It was a real test of manhood for those contestants. They were out there in the heat without any shade for about 7 hours. I don't know how they did it! 

The Highland Games are all about throwing heavy weights (hammers, ball in chain, logs, bell on a chain, etc) either for distance or height. It is slow moving, but very interesting to watch. I have a lot of respect for these athletes.


This guy got overall best for the games in his novice class. His skills were impressive indeed. He is throwing a stone here.
 for
This is why the athletes are required to wear shorts under their kilts, LOL.

There were many different games, but the caber toss was worth the wait. Wow! They were all tossing a 13 or 14 foot pole, which looked hard enough, but then they brought out this 18 ft monster! I was amazed any of them were able to pick it up, let alone toss it. Nobody was able to get it end over end, but they had fun trying, and we had fun watching.

No, that is not a telephone pole he is carrying. They pick it up, by the end, get it balanced, run with a little ways to get momentum, then...

Toss their end up as high as they can. This is one of Michael's friends he used to work with at the sawmill. I think he convinced Michael to try it next year. I think he'd be great at it. All I can say is, I hope they had a chiropractor and massage therapist on site. Those guys must have been utterly exhausted by the end of the day. 

They also hosted children's games and a skillet toss for women (there were a couple of women in the Highland Games), the next day, but we weren't able to make it both days. Hopefully next year! 

God Bless, 
Jackie

7 comments:

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Interesting! I've never been to one of those but thought about it. Hope you had a good summer!

Catherine said...

They hold some Highland Events in Athena, near you; have you been to those also? Great action shots, Jackie!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Yes, I've been do the Athena Festival, but it isn't nearly as big as this. I was very impressed! There was a lot more going on, especially in the music department :)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Yes, I've been do the Athena Festival, but it isn't nearly as big as this. I was very impressed! There was a lot more going on, especially in the music department :)

His bondservant said...

Oh what fun. I would love to attend one of these. I think they are so interesting. We have studied about this in history and it would be great to see it in action. So glad you were able to go and enjoy.

Camille said...

A skillet toss??? Hmmm...sounds interesting!

How fun that you were able to go and watch Jackie...your family photo is great. :)

Have a wonderful week!
Love,
Camille

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie, Thanks for joining my blog following. I too loved the Celtic Festival. We did not get to enjoy all of it but I hope we can go to all of it next year. We (Dave and I) are of Scottish ancestry too... as well, as Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese. ;-) I felt so sorry for every one in wool man, it was hot! Blessings

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails