Thursday, November 3, 2011

Homemade Whole Wheat Italian Bread Crumb Recipe


I've made more bread disasters than I can count! I'm forever forgetting ingredients. Sometimes I end up making tortillas out the dough, sometimes pizza dough, but if it is so bad that I can't do either of those, I will make Italian bread crumbs out of it. My family loves this on top of my Twice-baked Potato Casserole recipe or coconut oil-fried meats (every now and then). If you've ever looked at the back of the ingredients in Italian bread crumbs you get at the store, it'll make you want to make your own for sure, especially when you see just how easy and delicious it is!

Whole Wheat Italian Bread Crumb Recipe
1.Loaf of whole wheat bread, broken up on cookie sheet and toasted in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour or two (just depends on how wet the bread is).

2. After bread has cooled, put toasted bread into food processor. Blend to desired consistency.

3. While still in food processor, add to taste the following: garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Keep tasting until you get the combo you like. You want it to be strong in flavor.

Can't believe I used to just throw away my messed up bread! What a waste, when I could have been making this delicious stuff. Hope someone out there finds this recipe useful as well.

6 comments:

Nadine said...

I like making bread crumbs from the heel pieces that no one seems to eat, also from bread that is a bit stale.
I just keep it in a container in the freezer.
Last night we made fish and coated it with crumbled cornbread crumbs...yum!

Blessings!
~Nadine

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

We all eat the heels, but I love the idea of using cornbread crumbs, too :)

Robin said...

I made some really good rye breadcrumbs once - I just told myself I MEANT to do that - lol!

Rachel and Family said...

ha!ha! I just made a disaster with my quick bread last night when I forgot the salt and baking soda due to my 5 distractors.
I use bread crumbs a lot. I'm going to give my breads a second chance to shine too. Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

Totally love it! Thanks! Now to get motivated by you & get my applesauce & pumpkins done too! I'm not on FB anymore, but still visit your blog to catch up. Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours!

mum4305 said...

Thanks, I stopped buying bread crumbs after reading the ingredients. Good idea.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails