Monday, March 25, 2013

March Prairie Primer - "These Happy Golden Years"

This is a picture of Hailey with her one of her besties, Hannah, holding up their autograph albums they made.

The "Little House" fun continued into March as we worked through These Happy Golden Years, my personal favorite. Oh how much richer it is to go through these books as I'm now aware of the concept of courtship! Laura and Almanzo serve as a wonderful example of proper courtship..

We did some taffy pulling. This was really fun. The taffy was made with molasses.

Hailey with her piece of taffy.

The kids split the pieces into bite-sized and then we wrapped them in parchment.

Josiah is showing off his autograph album.

Each family did a presentation on missionaries or evangelists during "The Great Awakening". My children chose Dr. Marcus and Narcissa Whitman since we live fairly near where the Whitmans were massacred by Indians along with 12 others, including several of the seven Sager orphans whom they were taking care of as their own. This occurred as a result of the white settlers invading tribal lands and bringing diseases with them. Most white men recovered from these diseases, but the Indians had no natural resistance to them and died at an alarming rate. While Dr. Whitman treated both the whites and Indians during the measles epidemic, it looked to the Indians like he was killing their children and saving the white children. It was customary for a medicine man's life to be forfeit if he could not heal his patient. These were the reasons behind the massacre. It is a very sad story for both the Indians and the people living on the mission. 

The second week started out with a quick basic music lesson from a local voice coach who was sweet enough to come and teach us.  We had a great time learning to sing and do hand motions at the same time. We sang, "Sailing, Sailing Over the Ocean Blue".

Hailey was trying to remember Psalm 27.


Josiah attempting Psalm 27.

Our veteran homeschooling mom, Christine, talked to us about courtship verses dating. She used Almanzo and Laura, as well as some of her own children as examples.

I learned "Polly Wolly Doodle" out of the songbook and played while everyone sang along. Fiddles do nothing for double chins, LOL ;)

Josiah is looking at a picture of a reproduction of Laura's engagement ring which had a garnet in the middle with two pearls set on each side.

Looking at different precious stones and gems set in jewelry.
Hailey and another one of her besties listening to a presentation about the ears and hearing.

The food was so awesome this month. Dear Christine stayed up late the night before to make us Laura's wedding cake. It was delicious!

First time I've ever made fried chicken in my life. I followed the recipe in the Little House Cookbook, but added a little more salt. I got rave reviews on that one! I think everyone was excited to be eating something somewhat normal rather than an oxtail.

The yummy spread.

Clockwise: whole wheat bread, fried potatoes and onions, fried chicken, creamed carrots, Laura's wedding cake and apple sauce. Not much went in the garbage this time. The kids really liked the food.

We finished our time together by making molasses popcorn balls.

Josiah couldn't wait to eat his.


7 comments:

RaD said...

I see Josiah's belly peeking out of his shirt in one of the pictures! That reminds me of my Bethany, not always fully "put together". :)

I know I say it every time, but ti all looks like so much fun!

Nadine said...

Looks like you are all having fun learning from the Prairie Primer!

Blessings,
Nadine

Camille said...

What FUN! "These Happy Golden Years" is my favourite book, too. What a LOT of work you Moms put into those meeting times...WOW!! :)

Blessings to you!
Camille

Anonymous said...

It looks so much fun Jackie! Wish we were there to be involved too. My kids would love that!

Anonymous said...

Oops Jackie…the last comment and this one is from me…Jackie @building a heritage of faithfulness…my husband was still signed in to the computer!

aimee said...

Everytime I see one of your posts, I wish I had had a greater commitment to homeschooling my kids!
One of my ancestors was a traveling minister all over the northern portion of the USA. He came to Oregon and died here in the 1880's.
Blessings,
Aimee

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

That is super cool, Aimee! Wow, you have quite a Christian legacy :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails