Thursday, August 28, 2014

Easy Cucumber Kimchi Recipe

 My Aunt Deb brought some of this along to our last scrapbook camp and I just had to get the recipe from her. I thought all Kimchi had to be spicy, but apparently not. I've been waiting all summer for the Armenian snake cucumbers to come on and they are finally starting to produce. Yay! You can easily adjust this recipe to your tastes.

Easy Cucumber Kimchi Recipe
1 cucumber
1 Tbl Kosher or Celtic Sea Salt
1-2 tsp minced garlic
1-2 tsp finely chopped ginger or 1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8- 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
1 tsp sesame seeds (don't use black sesame seeds like I did, it discolors the cukes by the next day)
1 tsp fish sauce or raw whey
1 - 3 green onion, sliced

1.) Cut cucumber (peeled unless using Armenian cucumber - they have very tender skin) into spears about 3 inches long and 8 pieces. 

2.) Sprinkle with salt, then mix a bit so every cucumber has salt on it, and leave for 30 min. Drain in colander but DON'T rinse.

3.) Mix all ingedients well, and store in jars or airtight glass container for at least 30 mins. Can serve fresh or let sit out up to 2 days to ferment. Store up to 1 week. Personally, I like to eat it chilled. Very refreshing!

Enjoy, Jackie




2 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Looks pretty!

ronniej said...

So happy I found you and I admire your blog and appreciate your writing style! From your recipes to your devotions, I look forward to reading more.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails